Tuesday, May 28, 2013

number four.

My little girls are turning four tomorrow, and it's making me so darn introspective! 

I start thinking back to what it was like when we had these two pretty, perfect little babies and I can't not think about the friends that we had in our lives at the time. Like it's impossible. I had two babies and a four year old little boy. 

I needed help. 

And praise the LORD, I got it. 

I'm thinking about how I didn't have to cook for a month and a half- and I'm not exaggerating. Friends brought us food, strangers brought us food, Caleb's preschool teacher brought us food, all of the moms at preschool brought us food, more friends brought us food, people sent us gift cards; it was amazing. 

I'm thinking about the sweet friends who were so mindful of Caleb that they would take him to birthday parties that I couldn't get to with two newborns. Friends who would pick him up in the morning and let him just soak up in some glorious boy time at their house for the day. I'm thinking of friends that I could text on the way to church if Ricky was working, knowing that they'd help me with this crazy mess of kids that I was still learning to cope with. Friends who'd run out of their house when I pulled up to take a kid out of the car because I just didn't have enough hands. Friends who are incredibly thoughtful, generous, fun and kind. 

I love that I can't think of my two little best friend twins without thinking of so many of my own friends. 

To a recovering, struggling perfectionist who gets so caught up in her "I can do it all on my own, just sit back and watch me be awesome" attitude, needing and receiving all of this help was extremely humbling and an extremely practical way for me to see how lame it is to try to be super awesome all by yourself.  Friends. Family. Thank you for showing my family so much genuine and real love. 

Sometimes I wonder if the reason Jesus gave me so many kids is simply to help me get over myself. 

But that's another blog, another day. 

And now I have these funny, beautiful, thoughtful, often generous, (mostly) kind little girls. Jovie's not scared to sneak a handful of cake (yes, handful) and give it to Lotta before sneaking her own handful of cake. 

"Here you go, Lala."
"THANKS JOBIE!" 
"Sure, hon!" 

Friendship. It's a beautiful thing. 

Happy birthday, my Loretta Joy and Jovie Grace. You've brought more Joy and Grace into my life than I ever could imagined. I love you. And everyone who I'm sharing this birthday with: thank you. I love you, too. 










4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Lotta and Jovie!

    And I'm pretty sure God gave me my kids to give me a kick in the butt and get over myself too. (Not that I'm there yet - that must be why I've got more on the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you thank anna! :) so many things about that make me soooooo excited~

      Delete
  2. I started at the top of your posts and ended up here and felt the need to comment. I've always thought you were a wonderful person, Keri. And continue to be amazed by how wonderful of a mother you are. Who WOULDN'T help the crazed mom with newborn twins when that mom is YOU?! I'm sure you were a great friend or acquaintance to so many people or they saw the good in you and felt led to help you. And that's amazing.

    Your blog posts are inspiring. Food for thought. Thank you. For being you. For being honest and keeping God in your blog. For constantly reminding me that HE is in control and no matter how hard times are, HE will get us through it. Things I often forget. Just thought I'd tell you. :)
    I am so blessed to have you in my life (even if just in internet form).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks cheryl! mama's gotta stick together, right? :) i'm more and more convinced every day of the kindness and the tender mercies that Jesus has towards us as mommies. He knows when the days are long and loud and filled with serving unthankful little people in ways that are hard and NOT glamorous. :) but as we cling to Him and cry out those "Jesus help!" prayers, He bears us up and gives us the love that we need to go at it again tomorrow, right? His mercies are new every morning! :) i need to remember that i'm not alone; keep holding onto Jesus and trusting Him to lead you and speak to you as a mama.

      because mamas are precious! :)

      Delete