Sunday, July 14, 2013

ten years, baby.


Ten years ago I married my best friend. 

We were wee babes. 

We've lived in ten homes in three states, had four amazing kids, and countless beautiful and inspiring relationships. We've gone through times of loneliness, frustration and no cash to pay the bills. Then there have been times of abundance, joy and huge belly-laughs. I wouldn't change one moment. 

This life is a treasure. 

I'm so blessed to look back and remember that my God is faithful. The same God who was faithful in His promises to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is faithful to His promises to us. The same God who told Abraham when everything was bleak and impossible, "Don't be afraid, I am your shield, your exceeding great reward," tells me that my inheritance is the LORD, that He will show me the path of life, and that in His presence is the fullness of joy. (psalm 16) 

God is faithful to keep His promises. 

In days filled with tears and faith that wanes in the dark and scary places: God is faithful. In the same way that He said to Joshua "as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you," my Jesus tells me not to let my heart be troubled; not only is He preparing a place for me in heaven, but while I'm here He's given me a Helper, the Spirit of truth- who dwells with me and will even be in me. (John 14:1 & 16-17) The Holy Spirit who intercedes for us, comforts us and leads us into truth- He is for me

In those dark days, Jesus is faithful. 
In the huge belly-laugh days, Jesus is faithful. 
In those prayers that feel unnoticed, cloudy and impossible, Jesus is faithful. 

Our faith changes with moods and circumstances. 
Praise the LORD we have a King and Captain who is the same yesterday, today and forever. 

When we only see impossibilities, weakness and unbelief, Jesus is faithful to hear our cries of "Lord I believe, but help my unbelief!" Our Redeemer changes us with the promise of His presence, His mighty and compassionate hands; able to change our unbelieving hearts that we would finally come to a place of rest, knowing that He hears, He knows, and He's at work.  

We can rest because our Father is faithful to keep His promises. 
We can prevail in prayer because we know that He hears and answers. 
God promised Abraham a nation through His son. 
Twenty-five years later that son was born. 
God isn't slack concerning His promises to us- even in the gaps of time when it seems like nothing is happening. 

Friends, God is faithful

We are finally, after ten years, beginning to understand that if there's one thing that Jesus would have us learn together it's simply to wait on Him, because He is faithful. To cling to Him in prayer, unwilling to let go until we receive the blessing that comes from His hand. We've laid down ministry, guitars, jobs, homes, friends- sometimes willingly in obedience, but often as a last resort. We've been impatient and frustrated for so much of that time, not understanding why we would be in such a season to wait, when it seems like so many people we know are moving forward in calling and in ministry. 

Maybe you understand what I'm talking about. 
Maybe you're in that same season. 

We wait with promise. We wait with hope. 

"He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it. " I Thessalonians 5:24

Truly, when we're pressing in and clinging to our King in prayer we find new strength, renewed in His promises, anchored in hope that lasts because it's hope in the Risen One, our Conquering King Jesus, seated on the throne in heaven. The One who could calm the seas with His voice, make blind eyes see- the One who tasted death and was the Victor over it, crushing satan beneath His heel. 

For those friends and family members that you continue to intercede over- God is faithful. In those cities, workplaces and neighborhoods that seem impossibly dark and unreachable- God is faithful. 
Husbands and wives, as you seek the Lord together on behalf of your families, jobs and cities- God is faithful.

As you pray together He will show Himself strong in your home and in your marriage, that together you might shout from the mountaintops- like a battle cry in this world: 

Great is Thy faithfulness, oh God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be.

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
to Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!














No comments:

Post a Comment