Saturday, January 4, 2014

resolve.

I'm not really one for New Years Resolutions. And seeing as how it's January 4th and I missed the boat   on all that (we all had the death-flu for daaaaaaaaays), this works out. 

I'm going to be extremely honest (and a little self-deprecating) right now and just hope that you understand and will still like me at the end of this (hopefully short and sweet) post. 

I love clothes. 
All of them.
I'm not a hoarder or anything (I mean, come on); I get rid of stuff pretty often, but I love to buy clothes. 
If you know me, you know this is true. 

Stripes (swoon), plaid (oh, big swoon), corduroy (be still my heart), floppy hats and beanies and scarves and skirts and skirts and more skirts and cardigans and dresses and denim (oh, so much denim). Flowers and tribal and neon…. we're like a happy little family. 

Did I have a rough day with the kids? Forever 21 can fix that. Am I excited for a family vacation? I'll celebrate at H&M. Anxious? Target! Frustrated? Old Navy! Hungry? The Gap! Super pissed off at the world? Anthropologie for sure. (Only Anthro for that.)

My TV keeps telling me that I'm doing that I'm doing the right thing. And yes, that chunky cable knit sweater will make all of the problems of life just fade away into the (charcoal grey, please)  background. 

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think my TV is wrong. 
Because self-gratification hasn't solved any of my problems. I just feel bloated. 

I've been chewing on this chunk from 2 Peter (1:5-9) for the last 6-7 months: 

"But for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 
For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our LORD Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is short-sighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins." 

It would be very easy for me to make an "I'm just gonna try to do better at this stuff and smile more" resolution for 2014, and that would be nice. But I'm getting to a point in life where I need some of that meat and potatoes hearty resolve to make a change and be active in actually denying my flesh, laying down my life and taking up my cross. It's a good practice (and one I've sorta lost in there somewhere) to say "no" to yourself. Even in something as silly as not buying clothes. (Gotta start somewhere, right?) 

So there it is: 
2014. No new clothes (shoes, hats, bandanas) for me. 
If I want something new, I can thrift it or make it. 
For the whole year. 

Please be my friend and hold me accountable. 
Because you know what happens when May rolls around… tank tops and sundresses and wedge sandals…. 


1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I almost did this exact same resolutions and then chickened out at the last minute. Maybe next year... But go watch the Worn Wear video on Patagonia's website. It will get you pumped up about not being clothes and making use of what you already have.

    ReplyDelete